Suspected Drug Abuse and Custody Rights

Custody Rights -Are you worried about your child’s exposure to your ex’s drug abuse? 

The environment you raise your children in can significantly affect their mental and emotional wellbeing. According to statistics, 1 in 5 children in the U.S. lives in a home with a parent who is addicted to drugs. Substance use is a prevalent issue in today’s society and can severely affect a child’s health and development. 

If you’re wondering what can you can do to protect your child while still adhering to court orders during or after a divorce, here’s everything you need to know about Custody Rights:

What Should You Do If You Suspect Substance Abuse?

The first thing to do is look for solid evidence. You need to ensure that your suspicions aren’t baseless claims but instead have merit. What type of evidence do you need? Take some time to determine whether your partner exhibits any unusual behavior or is admitting to using drugs. Is your child worried about the other parent acting strange? Have there been any incidents in their house?

Next, after you’ve gathered all your evidence, get in touch with an experienced attorney to help with your custody rights case. You may be able to file a petition to establish custody and support. You can get the court involved to ask for a formal order to indicate that the other parent is unfit to take care of the child. You might get primary custody of your child, or the parenting plan can be modified to limit your child’s exposure to the other parent.

Can the Other Parent Lose Full Custody Rights?

Once you successfully gain a modification, the other parent might get limited Custody Rights or simply lose their visitation rights. This can last until they prove they’ve gotten help and have remained sober for a certain period of time. Filing a petition and receiving an interim order regarding custody can offer a sense of security for both you and your child. Since both biological parents have legal rights to the children, the parent can schedule visitations in a public place with a mediator. 

Child Custody Support in Reno

Looking for a family attorney or divorce lawyer in Reno? Let Anderson Kuescher, LLC be your go-to for all the most challenging and complicated Nevada family law matters. Our lawyers have years of experience dealing with divorce, property distribution, termination of parental rights, child support, child custody, and legal adoption cases. To hear more from divorce attorney Jessica Anderson, listen to her radio show, Love Court, which you can also find on YouTube. Or get in touch with us at 775 406 0305 to discuss your case today!

Watch Related Love Court Episode:

Dad is Ignoring Text Messages | Love Court